Working out and changing diet is important in enhancing wellness. But for those who want to manage their weight and build lean mass, a meal replacement can be a great addition. These products contain ingredients that can help you attain your wellness goals quickly and effectively. In this article, we give you a review of the best meal replacement shakes.
What are Meal Replacement Shakes?
These are drinks (or powder drinks) that are used to substitute solid foods. Meal replacement shakes usually have controlled quantities of nutrients and calories. They are designed for weight loss as well as general health management. Meal replacement shakes usually have a broad range of ingredients and they come in different flavors.
How to Choose
Meal replacement shake should provide the body with essential nutrients, just like a full meal. Generally, they have different ingredients as well as nutrient compositions. So, if you want to choose the best meal replacement shake, here’s what you should consider.
- At least 15g of protein per serving
- At least 3g of fiber per serving
- No hydrogenated vegetable oils or corn syrup
- At least 33% of the daily value for minerals and vitamins
- Less than 10g of sugar per serving
Best Brands of Meal Replacement Shake
The health and wellness industry has a wide range of products from various brands. Finding the best meal replacement shake can, therefore, be a tasking process. But we’ve got you because here is a review of the top 15 best meal replacement shakes.
This brand definitely has the number one best meal replacement shakes. 310 usually uses organic and consumer-friendly ingredients to manufacturer its products. Their dietary meal replacement shake is free of dairy and gluten. Besides that, these products have 0g of sugar.
It should be noted that 310 shake contains whole-food and functional ingredients. This can be proved from the quality superfoods that help the body to function optimally. The greens blend, minerals, and vitamins including probiotics give it an amazing profile.
With 15g of triplex protein, 310 shake facilitates and supports the growth of lean muscles. Besides that, its high fiber content promotes satiety and enhances the digestive process. The delicious taste of this cravable shake will keep off your hunger pangs for long. It’s rich in flavor and texture, so you will definitely love it.
- Whole-food and functional ingredients that help the body to function optimally
- 15g of triplex protein featuring pea, hemp, and brown rice protein
- Available in multiple flavors including vanilla and chocolate
- Paleo- and keto-friendly
- Quick and easy to use while on the go
- Gluten-, soy-, and sugar-free
- Can effectively support weight loss and general wellness
- The packaging needs improvement
- Quite expensive
It’s one of the most used meal replacement shakes for weight loss. The organic formula is made with the quality soy protein isolate. This helps to promote the repair of worn-out muscles. Besides that, it maintains the body’s lean mass. Herbalife promotes a healthy lifestyle. Reviews show that users normally lose around ½ to 1 pound weekly. When used alongside a good workout routine, the supplement often leads to better results within a short period.
- 9g of protein per serving to promote the development of lean mass
- Vegan-friendly supplement that promotes lasting satiety
- The 3g of fiber helps to enhance the process of digestion
- It contains antioxidants which help to fight diseases
- It promotes a long-lasting feeling of satiety
- Supports overall wellness
- It contains high amounts of sugar per serving
- It contains synthetic additives
With 22 essential vitamins and minerals, Ideal Shake Meal Replacement is a highly nutritious product. It contains low sugar and carbs hence it helps to promote weight loss. Naturally, this product curbs hunger by providing lasting satiety. Each serving normally contains 11-12g of protein. This is a moderately good amount, especially if you want to build lean body mass. The shake allows you to feel stronger, energized, and healthier. Besides that, it’s available in several flavors such as vanilla, mocha, strawberry, and salted caramel among others.
- Low fat and low-sugar supplement with a creamy taste i.e. 110-120 calories and 2g of sugar per serving
- 11g of protein per serving that promotes lean muscle mass
- 22 vitamins and minerals for healthy development
- Quick and easy to use
- It supports digestive health thanks to the high fiber content
- Its mouth-watering protein powder
- The consistency can be quite creamy
- The product packaging needs improvement
It’s an all-in-one nutritional shake made with non-GMO ingredients. The dietary supplement is made with real, whole-food ingredients. If you take a serving of Vega One, then you will get all the essential nutrients that the body needs. The gluten-free and low-glycemic product contains 20g of premium protein. This normally comes from sacha inchi, flax, pea, and hemp extracts. According to the manufacturer, the shake provides the body with a 50% daily intake of vitamins and minerals. This is because it contains ingredients such as kale, spirulina, broccoli, and strawberries among others.
- 20 g of protein with complete amino acid profile
- Provides the body with around 50% of the daily mineral and vitamin intake
- Contains organic extracts from fruits and vegetables
- Vegan-friendly meal replacement shake
- It has a great amino acid profile
- The new shake flavor is icky sweet
- The packaging, as well as formula, need improvement
Lady Boss lean
Lady Boss Lean has been specifically designed for women. It helps them to lose stubborn weight, especially in areas such as the abdomen and thighs. The premium powder shake is made with quality healthy protein. So, it helps to build and manage lean body mass. This is an all-in-one nutritional shake mux that effectively manages sweet cravings. The dietary supplement supports decreased appetite that’s ideal in creating an optimal weight loss environment. Besides that, it effectively supports the immune system as well as digestive health.
- Ultra-premium delicious protein shakes
- Supports decreased appetite by promoting lasting satiety
- Contains grass-fed whey protein, essential minerals, and vitamins
- Non-GMO and vegan-friendly
- It supports the unique feminine body
- Provides lasting and effective results
- Highly nutritious and boosts the immune system
- Over prized
- Can be too sweet
This is a plant-based meal replacement shake that’s rich in protein content. So, if you need a premium meal replacement protein shake, Orgain Organic is a good alternative. The non-GMO product is made with chia seeds, pea, and brown rice protein. As a result, it keeps the consumer satiated for long and curbs hunger pangs. The supplement also repairs worn-out muscles in an effective way. It’s flexible enough and, therefore, ideal for use by men, women, and even kids. If you are a workout enthusiast, Orgain Organic protein shakes are great for use pre- or post-workout.
- 21g of organic plant-based protein per serving
- 5g of fiber per serving to promote digestive health
- You can quickly prepare your ideal shake recipe using water, milk, or other liquid.
- USDA organic, vegan-friendly, and lactose-free
- Healthy meal replacement shake
- It’s rich in nutrients that support overall body wellness
- Supports the development and maintenance of lean muscles
- The shake can be a bit clumpy
- The manufacturer should improve the packaging
Slim Fast is an excellent appetite suppressor. Its ability to curb hunger pangs for long hours makes it a great weight loss product. It’s an exceptional meal replacement shake with a good nutrient profile. It’s packed with quality vitamins and minerals as well as protein. Each serving of this low-carb product usually contains 20g of protein alongside 24 essential vitamins and minerals. Slim Fast allows your body to quickly repair worn-out muscles. Besides that, it promotes better digestion thanks to the high fiber content. It’s a flexible and simple weight loss plan that provides users with much-needed convenience.
- Packed with 20g of proteins per serving
- Has a quality nutrient profile featuring 24 essential vitamins and minerals
- It’s effective and convenient to use
- Can satisfy hunger pangs up to 4 hours
- The supplement provides digestive support
- The consistency of the shake is quite thicker
- The supplement is costly
Isagenix Isalean is one of the most popular meal replacement shakes in the market. There’s no doubt that it’s the best meal replacement for those who want to manage their weight. The premium supplement is made with superfoods. As a result, it helps to effectively improve the general wellness of the consumer. The meal replacement drink mix promotes healthy weight loss. Furthermore, it also enhances the development of lean muscles. Each serving normally contains 24g of protein that supports muscles. It’s rich with a superior blend of branched-chain amino acid that enhances its effectiveness.
It should be noted that it contains active enzymes. Therefore, the body normally digests it with a lot of ease. This is a healthy shake that promotes healthy living. It’s delicious and convenient for use at any time of the day. Generally, Isagenix Isalean shake allows you to stay active and achieve your goals. It’s a great post or pre-workout drink. Additionally, it’s an effective meal replacement shake with a broad range of vitamins and minerals.
- 24g of high-quality and effective protein per serving
- It has active enzymes that ease the process of digestion
- Delicious and ideal meal replacement shale that suits all types of lifestyles
- Allows the body to stay active and users to achieve their goals on time
- It’s tasty, creamy, and delicious
- The supplement is rich in healthy protein
- It supports the process of digestion
- It’s quite expensive
- The flavors can be too strong
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein features among the best meal replacement shake for weight loss. It’s rich in protein as well as vitamins and minerals that promote healthy weight management. The gold-standard whey blend product contains healthy proteins. They include whey protein concentrate, whey peptides, and whey protein concentrate. Optimum Nutrition contains 24g of blended protein. So, it helps to build lean and strong muscles. Besides that, it also supports post-workout recovery, ensuring that users consistently enjoy their wellness routines. For versatility, there are 4 size options to choose from. These are 1, 2, 5, and 10-pound options.
- Contains a quality blend of whey proteins including protein concentrate, protein isolate, and whey peptides.
- Instantized to improve its mixability and eliminate the formation of lumps and clumps
- The supplement has over 5g of BCAAs that promote the healthy development of lean mass
- An any-time formula that can be used before and after exercise or during the day.
- This is a quality and award-winning supplement
- There are four size options to choose from
- The meal replacement shale comes in over 20 decadent flavors
- The manufacturing process involves highest control measures
- A serving can have up to 3g of sugar. This is an extremely high amount
- The texture of the shake can be easily affected by temperature
- It’s quite expensive
Premium Protein is a protein-rich formula. Each serving normally contains 30g of protein with all the essential amino acids. The supplement has low a number of calories as well as sugar. This makes it one of the top solutions for those who want to lose weight. Besides that, it’s rich in vitamins and minerals. So, not only does it help with help management but also it promotes overall health. It should be noted that Premier Protein has outstanding qualities. Because of its superior taste and effectiveness, the protein shake is a recipient of the American Master of Taste Gold Medal.
Its versatility spans across multiple flavors. This includes vanilla, chocolate, café latte, cookies and cream, bananas and cream, peaches and cream, and strawberries and cream. It’s delicious and deeply engages the taste buds. Besides that, this is a satisfying snack that works effectively as a training fuel.
- 30g of protein per serving that’s rich in essential amino acids
- Recipient of the American Master of Taste Gold Medal for superior taste
- Available in eight smooth and creamy flavors: vanilla, cafe latte, chocolate, and peaches & cream among others.
- Provides long-lasting satiety and curbs hunger pangs
- It’s a great pre-workout drink that can effectively fuel intense workouts
- Tasty and highly delicious
- Suitable for long and intense workout sessions
- Helps to repair worn-out and damaged muscles
- Open the bottle head can be fussy and annoying
- It contains milk protein concentrate
Just like its name suggests, Pure Protein is one of the top meal replacement protein shakes. It’s made with the grass-fed whey protein powder to suit the needs of various consumers. The clean protein shake normally enhances the recovery of worn-out muscles, especially post-workout. Besides that, it is effective in promoting the development of lean mass. Its advanced amino acid profile makes it a great dietary supplement of overall wellness. It contains the best form of essential, non-essential, and conditionally essential amino acids. This way, it helps the body to effectively reach optimal protein synthesis.
Reviews show that the quality protein supplement has ultra-bioavailability with a smooth consistency. It mixes instantly can produce noticeable results within a short period of time. Note that the driven whey is normally free of additives and fillers.
- Premium-grade grass-fed whey meal replacement protein shake
- 23g of protein per serving
- It’s rich with branched-chain amino acids that the body needs to build and maintain lean mass
- It promotes optimum protein synthesis with its advanced amino acid profile
- The supplement has a great level of absorption and bio-availability
- It’s available in several flavors including vanilla cream, cinnamon roll, and strawberry milkshake
- It supports the development and preservation of lean body mass
- The quality is decline very fast
- Some packages have produce shakes with specs
Soylent is an outstanding brand and there is no doubt that they have the best meal replacement shakes. If you are looking for a creamy and delicious meal replacement protein shakes, then you’ve got this. Even with its rich nutrient content, Soylent doesn’t sacrifice anything when it comes to taste. The ready-to-drink meal replacement shake contains slow-burning carbs. So, they help you to stay full for longer. Besides its rich protein content, soylent has 36 essential nutrients. So, it provides the body with the vital micronutrients needed for healthy growth.
- 20g of soy protein isolate with an excellent amino acid profile
- 21g of high oleic sunflower oil with monounsaturated fats
- 26 vitamins and minerals to nourish the body
- Slow-burning carbs that naturally sustain the energy levels in the body
- Plant-based, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and vegan-friendly
- A complete, ready-to-drink meal replacement shake
- Cost-effective and highly nutritious
- Sustainable and satisfying
- It might contain artificial flavors
- It may result in digestive discomfort
This is a micro-fine powder that can be mixed with water to produce a meal replacement shake. Huel offers speed as well as convenience. Its speed is based on the fact that users can see noticeable results within a short period. Additionally, it’s possible to use it while on the go. The vegan-friendly and nutritionally rich supplement is one of the best meal replacement shakes that’s easy to use. It’s also delicious and comes in a variety of flavors. This includes the gluten-free-flavored and unsweetened meal replacement shake. Besides that, there is vanilla, gluten-free vanilla, and unflavored unsweetened.
Huel has a wide range of minerals and vitamins. They not only make this product effective for weight management but also great in supporting overall wellness. Just make sure that you use it as recommended by the manufacturer.
- A fine micro powder supplement
- It comes in several flavor varieties including sweetened and unflavored
- Rich in minerals and vitamins such as vitamins A, E, D2, K1, calcium, potassium, and calcium.
- It has plant-based protein such as pea protein and brown rice protein
- Effective in satiating hunger pangs
- Offers speed and convenience
- It might contain artificial sweeteners
- The taste is a bit bland
Garden of Life
Garden of Life is one of the top brands with vegan-friendly supplements. They have one of the best meal replacement shakes on the market. With more than 40 superfoods, this supplement helps you to effectively manage your weight. Besides that, it’s effective in promoting your overall health. The vitamins and minerals nourish the skin as well as body organs. Furthermore, the raw organic meal replacement shake also contains probiotics that enhance digestive health. Overall, the Garden of Life is a healthy meal-on-the-go product that promotes wellness.
- Contains 20g of clean and organic protein
- Made with 44 super foods including fruits and veggies
- Probiotic-rich smooth protein shake
- Soy, gluten, and dairy-free
- Effective for use while on the go meal replacement shake.
- It comes in several flavors including chocolate, vanilla, and vanilla chai
- Boosts energy production and the development of lean muscles
- It’s pretty expensive
- Contains added sugar
- The smell can be a turnoff
Atkins is one of the best meal replacement shakes for weight loss. The nutritious and protein-rich dietary supplement provides an effective solution. It satisfies hunger pangs and engages your taste buds. The low-glycemic and gluten-free meal replacement shake provides the body with a steady supply of energy.
- Protein-rich shakes
- Satisfies hunger pangs and reduces binge eating
- The shake provides the body with steady energy
- Protein-rich and highly nutritious
- Satisfies hunger pangs for long
- The meal replacement shake is keto-friendly
- May result in digestive discomfort initially
How to Use Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss
A typical meal replacement shake can replace one or two meals per day. This can be a powder shake or a liquid shake that’s already readymade. You can use it in the morning, afternoon, or evening, depending on the variation that’s good for you. Although most dieters love to use water because of the zero calories, milk or organic juice is still good.
Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes
The main benefit of meal replacement shake is weight management. Most people want to skip their regular meals to avoid taking too many calories that lead to weight gain. With a low-calorie intake that involves taking meal replacement shakes, they can easily end up shedding lots of weight. Other benefits include:
- They provide convenience and can be taken on the go
- These supplements suit all types of lifestyles
- Provide noticeable results within a short period of time
Side Effects of Meal Replacement Shakes
While reviews show that meal replacement shakes have lots of benefits, they also come with some downsides. It should be noted that they don’t have all the benefits of balanced whole-foods. This is because it’s impossible to find all the nutrients from a few food sources. Besides that, they can lead to:
- Digestive issues and bloating
- Change in metabolism
- Disruption of the weight management plan
- Too much protein can lead to a high risk of cancer, kidney, and bone problems
- Some of them have unsafe levels of contaminants
Buying Guide for Meal Replacement Shakes
A delicious meal replacement can be a great alternative for your breakfast. Alternatively, you can take it as your lunch to avoid eating so many calories. But regardless of when you plan to use your shake, quality matters. If you want to be an effective meal replacement shake, here is what you should consider:
- Type of ingredients: they determine the effectiveness of a meal replacement shake. Organic ingredients are the best since they provide natural effects. In addition to that, they don’t have harmful additives, fillers, or colors.
- Calories: choose a meal replacement shake that has between 200-400 calories. Note a third of this number should come from protein sources.
- Fiber, minerals, and vitamins: it should have around 5g of fiber and 25-33% of daily value of minerals and vitamins.
- Sugar content: the best meal replacement shakes usually have 1-2g of sugar per serving. This is meant to simply add taste to the supplement. Note that too much sugar content can lead to weight gain.
There are many meal replacements shakes on the market. But the products in this review guide are among the best. They contain the vital nutrients for weight loss and the development of lean mass. However, consumers are advised to exercise caution before and when using these products. A comprehensive analysis is vital in minimizing the risk of possible side effects.